Most people serving in the armed forces will be aware that The Ministry of Defense offers an Enhanced Learning Credit scheme to promote lifelong learning amongst members.
HCUK Training, part of the Hull College Group is an approved ELC learning provider. These are very generous allowances to be used on resettlement courses for those who’ve been a member of the armed forces who’s served for four years or more, you can claim Enhanced Learning Credits from the services for up to ten years after leaving. You can only claim once a year and you can save them up for up to three years, which you don’t need to run consecutively. The credits can be used to pay for courses with registered training providers such as HCUK Training but only apply to level 3 courses or above.
Are you eligible for the Enhanced Learning Credits?
- Have you accumulated 4 years of service since 1 April 2000? (Entitlement: Lower Tier)
- Have you accumulated 8 years of service since 1 April 2000? (Entitlement: Higher Tier)
- If you were Wounded, Injured or Sick (WIS) or medical discharged before reaching the four year eligible service then you may still be eligible to claim ELCs.
Don’t worry if you do not qualify for the Enhanced Learning Credit scheme, there are other organisations for example the Royal British Legion which can sometimes help fund retraining.
- You can claim up to £1,000 (Lower Tier) or £2,000 (Higher Tier) per financial year (31st March – 1st April) towards qualifying courses.
- You can claim 3 times (as long as they are in separate financial years.) You can use enhanced learning credits for up to 10 years from your last day of service.
- Enhanced learning credits can be used towards the costs of tuition fees including VAT.
- ELCs cannot be used towards travel, subsistence, accommodation, meals, equipment or course materials where additional fees apply.
Before deciding on learning, people should consider:
- Is the course relevant to your personal development?
- Are you able to complete the course?
- Will this disrupt your current service?
- Can you travel to the training centre, will you require accommodation?
Our Enhanced Learning Credits Offer:
- TAQA Assessor Courses
- Personal Training & Fitness
- Driving, Logistics & Warehousing
- Security (SIA)
- CMI Management
- Health & Safety (IOSH / NEBOSH)